Do I Need an Attorney’s Advice Before Selling My Payments?

In a previous post, we explained that some people are required to seek independent professional advice before they can sell their future structured settlement payments. The point is to ensure that the sale is happening in your best interest.

CrowFly is not (and cannot) be part of this step in the process. Rather, an objective third party—such as an attorney, CPA, actuary, or another licensed professional—will review your situation and provide a letter to the judge, usually for a fee. Your state might require this step to happen before your sale can proceed.

Which States Require You to Have an IPA?

The following states require sellers to seek independent professional advice:

  • Alaska
  • Delaware
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • North Carolina
  • Vermont

There’s a lot to know when you’re thinking about selling your future structured settlement payments. Our team at CrowFly is here to answer your questions, and we will never push you to sell. Our goal is to ensure you have all the information you need to make the best decision with your future payments. Then, if you do decide to sell with us, we will aim to get you the most money possible.

Call 833-CROWFLY or complete an online form to speak with an experienced member of our team who can answer your questions and explain the next steps.